Pages

About

Monday, July 25, 2011

The light at the end of the tunnel

I've been in grad school for 4 years now, taking classes during the summer months and on weekends during the school year.  I've spent hours in front of the computer typing up lesson plans, thesis papers, assessments, curriculum maps, strategies for reaching all learners, and arrangements of my own music.  I've spent many sleepless nights working on homework, trying to get my computer to cooperate when it decided to eat a paper, and working on projects.

And, it all ends on Saturday.

It's been quite an adventure, and these past three years (while I've been in "residency") have been particularly enlightening.  I've learned a lot about myself over the pat 3 years, including just how much I can handle, that my breaking point is a lot farther away from what it used to be, and that I can do pretty much anything I can put my mind into.  I've discovered that I really should be singing soprano, not alto.  I've discovered that I, as a former band director, do understand vocal and general music, and that I've build a pretty amazing program at my school.  I've learned about vocal health, choosing choral repertoire, incorporating technology in my classroom, APA style formatting, curriculum development, engaging students, etc. etc. etc.  I know WAY too much about APA formatting.  ;)

It's been a great four years.  I've met a lot of truly amazing musicians and people from literally all over the world, from Australia to China to the Bahamas, not to mention people all over the USA.  Thanks to social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, and Plurk, I'll be able to stay connected to many of these new friends for years to come.

But it still all ends Saturday.  And while I'm excited to finally be able to put the student cap to rest (at least for a little while), I know I'm going to miss it terribly.

So now what am I going to do to fill up my summer months?

No comments:

Post a Comment